Department Report 2013-2014
The Department of Botany continued to be vibrant with various activities.
Prof. Kanchi Gandhi, Curator of Nomenclature at The Harvard Herbaria, Harvard University, Boston, USA delivered a lecture on 22nd February, 2014.
Prof. M. Sabu, from University of Calicut, delivered a lecture on ‘Gingers of India’ on February 16th, 2014.
Mr. Kalpit Mhatre, who worked for his Ph. D. degree under the guidance of Dr. Shinde, was awarded a Ph. D. degree in Botany in January, 2014. His thesis is titled “Taxonomic studies on medicinal plants of Raigad district, Maharashtra – with special reference to Ethnobotanical Aspects”.
All the teachers of the department attended a workshop on “Biowaves: The Pulse of Biology” organised by St. Xavier’s College (Autonomous), Mumbai on behalf of Indian Science Academy, Mumbai on November 29th and 30th 2013,
They also attended the International Conference on Chemistry “Cutting Edge: Nano, Green and Beyond” organised by the Department of Chemisty of St. Xavier’s College on the 6th and 7th of January 2014.
Dr. Rajendra Shinde
attended the DBT-sponsored, two day- National Workshop on “Chemoprofiling of Some Therapeutically Important Plants using Sophisticated Instruments – HPTLC and HPLC” on February 4th and 5th, 2014 at Ruia College, Mumbai.
• attended a one day workshop on “Understanding Academic Performance Indicators” organised by Gurunanak College of Arts, Science and Commerce on 25th January 2014, as well as a workshop on “Career Advancement Under UGC Regulations 2010” arranged by Bombay University and College Teachers Union on October 4th at Vidyapeet Vidyarthi Bhavan, Mumbai.
• was present at a workshop on “Phylogenetics” conducted by the Department of Botany, Goa University on 24th and 25th August, 2013. conducted lectures for M.Sc. Herbal Science at Ruia College and for M.Sc. Taxonomy students at Dapoli Urban Bank Senior Science College, Dapoli.
• attended a course on “Soft Skills Development” organised by Academic Staff College, University of Mumbai, from 5th to 11th March, 2014.
• was invited by the University of Pune to evaluate and conduct the Ph.D. degree Viva-voce examination. He judged the “Zonal Level Science Exhibition 2013-14” at D.S. High School, Mumbai,
• was requested to join the meeting of the Collaborative Undergraduate Research and Education (CURE) Programme held at Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education, TIFR, Mumbai in June 2013.
• attended a meeting organised for the coordinators of the Star College Scheme at Ruia College, Mumbai in August 2013.
• Rajendra Shinde, Rajdeo Singh, Sweedle Cerejo and Mhatre Kalpit (2014) presented ‘Alternative Medicines from Plants – Green Chemistry in Action with special reference to the plants from Mumbai, Thane and Raigad districts’ at the International Conference on Chemistry “Cutting Edge: Nano, Green and Beyond” organised by St. Xavier’s College (Autonomous).
• Rajendra Shinde and Rajdeo Singh (2013) presented “Digitization and quantitative Assessment of some medicinal plants species from Thane District, Maharashtra” at the XXIII Annual Conference of Indian Association for Angiosperm Taxonomy and National Seminar on “Recent Advances in Plant Taxonomy Research” organised by the PG Department of Botany at RTM Nagpur University.
1. Kalpit Mhatre, Rajdeo Singh, Sweedle Cerejo and Rajendra Shinde (2013): ‘Diversity of Mangroves in Raigad District, Maharashtra and need for their conservation’ Int. J. Environmental Sciences, Vol 2 (04): 205-209. (ISSN: 2249-2127)
2. Nandikar M., Rajdeo Singh, R. Gurav and Rajendra Shinde (2013): ‘Lectotypification and Notes on the identity of Christinsoniacalcarata (Orobanchaceae), Rheedea,Vol 23. (ISSN: 0971-2313).
Dr. Ujwala Bapat
Head, Department of Botany