Department Report 2012-2013
This year saw a welcome and new addition to the Botany course. A Post-graduate Course in Botany was also included as part of the courses offered by St. Xavier’s College, Autonomous, from June 2012.
The Department actively participated in many co-curricular and extra-curricular activities of the College, in addition to the Honours Program and the mandatory field trips for Botany students. The Department even participated in the Science Exhibition. The herbal cosmetics and the greeting cards prepared by the students during this exhibition were highly appreciated by the visitors.
Dr. (Mrs.) Ujwala Bapat
- attended the resource generation camp for Biology Olympiad held in August, 2012, at HBCSE, Mumbai. She was invited to take M. Sc, Herbal Science lectures at Birla College (Part I), Kalyan, and Ramnarain Ruia College, Matunga (Part I and II).
- completed the UGC major research project in February 2013. She presented a paper at the 5th World Ayurveda Congress held at Bhopal in Dec.2012.
- participated in a National Seminar organized by the Department of Botany, Chougule College, Goa, and chaired one of the sessions in February 2013.
- was a member of Local Organizing Committees appointed by the University of Mumbai for the approval of the additional seats for M.Sc. Degree Course in Organic Chemistry at Ramnarain Ruia College and the 5 year Integrated Course in Bioanalytical Science at Ramnarain Ruia College Mumbai.
- was invited to give a lecture on ‘Phytoconstituents and Therapeutic uses of Medicinal Plants’ at a workshop organized by the Forest Department, Thane.
Dr. Rajendra Shinde
- was a visiting faculty at Dapoli College, Dapoli, Dist. Ratnagiri and Undre College, Borli Panchtan, Dive, Dist. Raigad, to deliver lectures on M.Sc. II Plant Taxonomy and at Ramnarain Ruia College, Matunga, Mumbai, to deliver lectures on M.Sc. I Herbal Science.
- completed a research project on ‘Digitized Inventory of Medicinal Plant Resources of Maharashtra’. was a Referee to evaluate a M. Sc. (by Research) thesis at the University of Pune.
- attended a two day workshop on “DNA BARCODING: Its Power and Practice”, jointly organized by Loyola Center for R & D, St. Xavier’s College, Ahmedabad and Paul Hebert Centre for DNA Barcoding and Biodiversity Studies, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad.
- attended a workshop on Plant ‘Nomenclature’ conducted by Prof. K. N. Gandhi, Harvard University, USA, and Botanical Survey of India, Kolkata.
- participated in One day workshop on “Statistical Tools for Improving BEQET projects” organized by Shri. M. D. Shah Mahila College of Arts and Commerce and National Center for Quality Management.
- was a member of Advisory Committee for National Conference on “Role of Biotechnology in Conservation and Sustainable use of Medicinal Plants” organized by Department of Botany and Biotechnology, The Institute of Science, Mumbai .
- organized a one day workshop on ‘DNA Barcoding for Understanding the Diversity of Life’ for the Faculty and PG students of St. Xavier’s College at Xavier’s.
- facilitated UNCSD Rio+20 India Program for St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai , in April 2013.
- was invited as the Chief Guest at Ramniranjan Jhunjhunwala College, Mumbai .
- delivered a key note address at ‘Saptaparni’ an annual Botanical intercollegiate event.
Prof. Kevin D’ Cruz
- conducted a workshop on ‘Using Moodle and IPAD’ for the Teaching Staff of St. Xavier’s College and for the S.N.D.T College, Mumbai.
- conducted a workshop on ‘ICT’ for the teachers of X and XI standards of Mumbai.
Prof. Alok Gude
- participated in workshops on S.Y.B.Sc. and M.Sc.- I syllabi under credit based semester system in June, at Ramniranjan Junjhunwala College, Mumbai and “Research Methodology in Basic and Applied Sciences” organized by UGC Academic Staff College University of Mumbai in March, 2013.
- attended two-day workshop on ‘DNA BARCODING’ organized jointly by Loyola Center for R & D, St. Xavier’s College, Ahmedabad and Paul Hebert Centre for DNA Barcoding and Biodiversity Studies, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad, in December, 2012 at St. Xavier’s College, Ahmedabad.
Dr. Manek K. Mistry
- was the Consulting Botanist for the ‘Flower Garden Project’ at the Dadar Pumping Station of Mumbai Municipal Corporation.
- attended the N.S.S. camp of St. Andrews College, Mumbai, held at Mandgaon,in 2013 as a resource person.
Dr. Ujwala Bapat
Head, Department of Botany