Co - Curricular & Extra - Curricular Facilities
3.1.1. Blatter Herbarium was started at the end of the 19th century but it was around 1918 that a very large number of plants was gathered by the late Rev. Fr. E. Blatter, S.J., his associates and students. The Herbarium was named after Fr. Blatter in 1941, and now contains the largest collection of plants in Western India. It provides facilities for the study of Plant Systematics and has a well-stocked library on Systematic Botany. The Herbarium has received a grant from the Sir Ratan Tata Trust for upgradation and digitization of the plant database and work on this has begun in May 2015. Dr. Rajendra Shinde is the present Director.
3.1.2. Caius Laboratory for Inter-Disciplinary Research, named after the late Rev. Fr. J. F. Caius, S.J., was established in August 1947, for the purpose of carrying out drug research. It saw the identification of a strain of Streptomyces, among other achievements. This laboratory has been restructured and equipped with sophisticated new instruments. It functions as a research and coordination centre at the service of all the Science departments of the College. This Laboratory has been supported by grants from Industry and from the UGC, the UNDP and other agencies. Dr. Priya Sunderrajan is the Director
3.1.3. Central Instrumentation Facility (C.I.F.): This is a facility with sophisticated equipment acquired mainly through a DST-FIST Grant, for use of the Biological and other Science Departments. It was set up in December 2006 as part of the Caius Research Laboratory. It is also financed through the UGC under the ‘College of Excellence’ Scheme.
3.1.4. Heras Institute of Indian History and Culture was founded in 1926, as the Indian Historical Research Institute, by the Late Rev. Fr. Henry Heras, S.J., and, on his death in 1955, it was named after him. The Heras Institute, with its well-maintained Research Library and Museum, provides guidance and facilities for post-graduate research in the fields of Ancient, Medieval and Modern Indian History, Indian Art and Literature, Indian Religions and Culture. INDICA, published since 1964, is the Research Journal of this Institute. The Director, Dr. Joan Dias.
3.1.5. Nadkarny – Sacasa Research Laboratory was inaugurated on July 15 1972. It fulfils the need for modernising research facilities in Chemistry and for making research go hand-in-hand with industry. It sustains 20 postgraduate research students in the field of Chemistry and has produced several doctorates. Dr. Freddy Havaldar is the Acting Director.
3.1.6. Xavier’s Visual Arts Studio was inaugurated in the year 2014. This studio is equipped with professional quality digital still and moving cameras with lighting equipment and A.V. editing set up. This facility is open to the students of the college - even students from the Arts and Science faculties use this studio to enhance their course projects with basic techniques of visual presentation. The studio is under the care of the Mass Media Department.
3.1.7. St. Xavier’s Language Laboratory: It is equipped with the latest in Language Acquisition Technology. It caters to both new learners of a language and those doing advanced courses in English, Hindi, French and Marathi. Ms. Jyoti More, a Language and Soft-skills specialist, handles this facility.
3.2. EXTRA-CURRICULAR FACILITIES
3.2.1. Department of Inter-Religious Studies was inaugurated in 1987. It fosters an understanding and appreciation of religions, communal harmony and national integration. It conducts non-formal courses, seminars and public lectures. Fr. Prashant Olalekar, S.J. heads this Department.
126.96.36.199. Chapel cum Prayer Hall: Housed in a ‘heritage’ structure, the Chapel is open during college hours, and students and staff of all faiths are welcome to a time of quiet and prayer. The Eucharist is held 4 times a week for Catholic students and staff, during the class break timings.
3.2.2. Placement Centre: This Centre endeavours to put students in touch with reputed employers, to train students in the writing of a CV and to acquaint them with the selection process of corporates. A Committee of Staff and Students operates this Centre. Ms. Neelam Shetty is the current Placement Committee Convener.
3.2.3. St. Xavier’s Villa, at Khandala. It is spacious and commands a beautiful view of the Khandala hills and dales. It is just 20 minutes’ walk from the Khandala Railway Station. It is open to our staff and students for retreats, seminars and educational conferences This facility includes a small chapel, a dining room, two conference halls and about 40 rooms which can be used for single, double or triple occupancy. A caterer provides regular meals. Bookings can be arranged through the Treasurer’s Office of the College.
3.2.4. Council of International Programmes (CIP): It facilitates student exposure to the best educational institutions in the world. It sends students for one year exchange programmes to USA, Canada, Europe and S. Korea. It organizes an exchange of students for short programmes to the University of Berkeley’s, Harvard University, Yale University, University of Tokyo and University of Dundee. Faculty exposure to the best Universities of the world through short-term visits to the UK, EU and the U.S. are also organised by CIP. Dr. Radiya Pacha-Gupta is the Director.
188.8.131.52. Study Abroad Counselling Centre (SACC) was established in 2012 to help students get admission into post-graduate programmes at various foreign Universities. The Centre helps students in: selecting Universities, preparing for TOEFL/GRE, completing Visa and pre-departure formalities. In collaboration with the Council of International Programs, SACC assists the international exchange students on Campus. Ms. Rashida Haidermota is in-charge of SAAC.
3.2.5. Xavier’s Resource Centre for the Visually Challenged (XRCVC): This centre, for visually challenged persons (VCPs), is supported by individuals, Trusts and Corporates. It is equipped with the latest technological innovations like, various screen readers, screen magnifiers, text to speech converters, tactile graphical creation systems, Braille machines, et al. The XRCVC’s activities involve:
a) Student Activities: Student training (computer, mobility and Braille) and volunteer co-ordination.
b) Social Advocacy: Addressing accessibility issues of VCPs at local, regional and national levels.
c) Awareness Generation on the lives of persons with disability among students (school/college), teachers, government officials, employers and people at large.
Dr. Sam Taraporevala is the moving force behind the Centre (website www.xrcvc.org).