Social Involvement Programme (SIP)
SOCIAL INVOLVEMENT PROGRAMME - Report (2014-15)
SIP - AN EXPERIENCE BY MS. JAHNVI PANDYA
St. Xavier’s College- Autonomous Mumbai, has always endeavored to change the paradigms of education. Since 1996 it has been providing students with beyond the classroom and campus learning opportunities through the Social Involvement Programme (S.I.P.) This programme fundamentally aspires towards a holistic education by focusing on:
- The creation of social awareness and sensitization, both among students and citizens at large.
- The motivation of students to explore and engage with India’s socio-economic realities so as to raise vital questions and make meaningful interventions.
In the academic year 2014-15, 845 students participated in the regular obligatory component and 131 participated in the voluntary Honors Programme component of the S.I.P. The regular students’ placements with various NGOs were: Education (123), Differently-Abled (13), Women (4), Elderly (2), Awareness of Social Issues (3) and Health (5).
The pie-chart shows the percentage configuration of the students’ participation in the above mentioned social activities:
In the academic year 2014-15, the S.I.P. Department networked with 27 new organisations wherein:
- It collaborated with the Commerce Section of the college to help in improving the English Grammar & Communication Skills of students from vernacular medium backgrounds.
- It teamed up with the college Language Lab and assisted vernacular medium background students of the day College with English Grammar and their curriculum studies.
- It partnered with the Pydhuni and L.T. Marg Police Stations to counsel and register elderly citizens.
- It provided volunteers to support visually challenged students from the college or outside to help them in the writing their exams and/or with their studies.
The words of the former Fr. General of the Society of Jesus,Fr Kolvenbach SJ, 'when the heart is touched by direct experience, the mind is challenged to change', has been the driving inspiration for the S.I.P Department and the student volunteers.
SIP N.G.O. NETWORK - CLICK HERE